Fedora Core Installation Problem - Partitioning

The Engineer short.circuit at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 2 15:44:06 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I had tried several times to install FC1 using the graphical interface, but it kept on crashing after a few screens.

So, I decided to try the 'linux text' boot command, which was OK until I started to setup the linux partitions using the Disk Druid.

Here is the setup:

I have two HDDs, the first HDD (HDD1) with Windows ME (primary partition) and a split extended partition.

The second HDD (HDD2) has /boot, SWAP, /, (all primary) and a slip extended partition with /home, and other partitions in it.

These were all setup using PowerQuest Partition Magic 8 (PM8).

When I manually partitioned the Linux partitions on HDD2 and installed GRUB in the MBR of HDD1, I had noticed that Disk Druid and Partition Magic 8 have a big incompatibility problem - it corrupted one of my partitions in the extended partition on HDD1.

When I went back into windows, PM8 showed HDD1 as one big BAD yellow partition.

Anyway, in the end I had to delete and recreate the corrupt partition, BUT, I'm a bit worried about attempting to re-install FC1.

I would like to know:

Has anybody had a similar experience at all ?
And is there a way around this problem ?
Is this a known problem in general with FC1 and PM8 ?

I would appreciate all the help !

Kind regards,

Jules