grub.conf help (w/ XP)

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Apr 3 01:09:43 UTC 2004

Michael A. Peters wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 05:48, Jeff Vian wrote:
>

>>Exactly how did you get this to work?
>>I have windows on my slave drive but the commands you list above result
>>in an error from grub about "invalid or unsupported executable format"
>>
>>My exact grub format I am trying to use is
>>    map (hd0) (hd1)
>>    map (hd1) (hd0)
>>    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>>    chainloader +1
>>
>>I have also tried changing the rootnoverify (hd1,0)
>>tried changing the sequence of the last 2 lines,
>>
>>And in every case I get the same error message from grub.
>>
>>If I change bios to boot from the second drive it works perfectly, but
>>that is less than ideal to have to change the bios setting for dual booting.
>>

>Here is my working grub.conf for this setup (attached)

># grub.conf generated by anaconda
>#
># Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
># NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
>#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
>#          root (hd0,0)
>#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda7
>#          initrd /initrd-version.img
>#boot=/dev/hda
>default=0
>timeout=10
>splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>title Fedora Core (2.6.4-1.300)
>	root (hd0,0)
>	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.4-1.300 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>	initrd /initrd-2.6.4-1.300.img
>
>title Fedora Core (2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1)
>	root (hd0,0)
>	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>	initrd /initrd-2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1.img
>
>title Windows XP
>	map (hd0) (hd1)
>	map (hd1) (hd0)
>	rootnoverify (hd1,0)
>	makeactive
>	chainloader +1
>	boot

My file below looks exactly like yours for the windows section.
Yet whenever I try to boot to that OS I get the message above.

This is really frustrating and makes no sense.
Does anyone have any other suggestions??

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.1-1.65)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.1-1.65 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
        initrd /initrd-2.6.1-1.65.img
title Windows
        map  (hd0)  (hd1)
        map  (hd1)  (hd0)