grub Error 23 'Selected Disk Does Not Exist' - but it does!

Bill Dearborn wjdearborn at narthexservices.com
Sat Apr 3 18:04:27 UTC 2004

 YES, both disks have LBA support, and indicate a Block Mode
 of 16, PIO Mode of Mode 4 and Ultra DMA Mode of Mode 5 - whatever those
 mean.

> Grub believes the BIOS.  If the BIOS is a bit confused, so is GRUB.

I don't think the BIOS is confused - I think this information
is just not stored there. There is a statement in the BIOS
screen that details the Drives: "The actual performance of the
Drive is Dependant upon the Operating System and IDE Drivers."

At the same time ananconda appears to have found both
driver. Is there anywhere in the various configuration and
log files that what it found might be listed?

> >So as a newbie I am wondering where to turn next ... Do I need to
> >attempt to find a way to re-install GRUB which appears to
> > NOT understand my machine?
>Are there other options? Is the GRUB setup command the way to go?
> >

> A long shot, but can you include your grub.conf?

This is a retyped copy of grub.conf - since I am only able to
get at it via 'linux rescue' and I am working from an XP
machine, to be able to handle email.

#
# Number of Comment lines
#
Default=0
Timeout=10
Splashimage=(hd,1,1)
title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp)
	root (hd1,1)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi
rhgb
 	initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp.img
title Fedora Core-Up (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
	root (hd1,1)
 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi rhgb
	initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img
title DOS
 	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
 	chainloader +1

> I had a quick google and found references to problems with
> over 137GB disks.  If so, the grub places might be a better place to ask
for
> help.

If the above does not help I will spend sometime there
tomorrow ... Any suggestions about GRUB places?

Thank you for taking time with this...

 Bill