TV-out/TwinView not working with GeForce4 MX440

Ben Vitale bvitale at cisunix.unh.edu
Sat Apr 3 18:36:00 UTC 2004

Hi folks.  I posted this same information to the NVIDIA Linux forums
with no luck.  TV-out just isn't working.  Here's all the relevant info..

Gainward GeForce4 MX440 AGP 8X 64MB with TV-out
2.4.22-1.2115.nptl kernel
Athlon XP 2500+ on a Gigabyte GA-7N400-L Motherboard
NVIDIA Driver: 1.0-5336 2004/01/07
Video Bios: 04.18.20.15.00

XF86Config and the XFree86 log are attached.

The problem is simple: nothing shows on the TV. I tried setting
ConnectedMonitor to just "TV", but it doesn't show anything at all.

Video card is physically connected to the television with an
svideo-composite adapter followed by a composite RCA cable. TV is a 27"
JVC (NTSC).

The only relevant (I think) line from the log is this:
NVIDIA(0): Failure reading EDID parameters for display device TV-0

But then further down, I see..
(**) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes for display device TV-0:
(**) NVIDIA(0): Default mode "1024x768": 65.0 MHz, 48.4 kHz, 60.0 Hz

etc...

So it makes me think the TV connection is at least physically working?

Anyone have any insight?

TIA,

Ben