Any plans for a font install tool?

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Sat Apr 3 18:49:58 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 22:30, Martin Alderson wrote:
> Fedora is missing a font install tool, IMO. While copying to fonts in
> home is ok, I feel that a simple point and click wizard style applet
> could really help new users with font install problems and make
> themselves feel more at home in Linux (most users I have seen don't
> like the fact that their websites they regularly visit are suddenly all
> different).

Are you using Gnome/Nautilus? If so, open up in Nautilus "fonts:///".
This should show what you have in your ~/.fonts directory, as well as
what is shared on the system (will be read-only). Drag and drop fonts
here. Of note, it seems you have to refresh to see the font actually be
there. But it does work... for me anyway. YMMV.

A shame that fonts:/// is hidden though. It's actually in Menu -->
Preferences --> Font. Then "Details..." button. Then "Go to font folder"
button. It's the same as just typing "font:" in Nautilus location bar.

Of course, you could probably, as root, include the fonts in /etc/skel.
Just make a .fonts directory there, and include what you want. Then when
you create an account, it should, technically copy it to the new
account. I could be wrong on this one.

> Is there any plans for something like this or I have overlook something?
> Martin Alderson,
> IntechHosting

dex