newbie Telewest Broadband

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Apr 3 19:54:01 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 03.04.2004 schrieb Henry Widd um 19:24:

> Hi, I am new to the whole Linux thing...bear with me. I have just got broadband installed
> - Telewest Blueyonder. I found some advice on the internet on how to set up RedHat for
> this - which basically said I could use <netconfig> to enter everything. This would be fine
> except that <netconfig> is not a command my computer knows. (When I tried to install
> the rpm, my machine tells mem that it IS installed already?! How can I use it?)

netconfig is in /usr/sbin - so you certainly became root using "su" and
not "su -". So you have no environment set for root because you have a
root shell but not root login shell. See "man su" for more info.

redhat-config-network<TAB> should be all you need to set up the network
proper. The configuration will be written to
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX.

> Anyway, the GUI tool on Fedora does not let me enter the MAC/Physical adress for my
> PC which is something that is required for it all to work.

The MAC of the NIC will be autodetected. Do you really need to set that
address?

> If you have any advice, or know of good tutorial/docs to help me pls let me know,

www.redhat.com/docs/ - there is documentation, although it is about
Redhat 9 it mostly fits for Fedora Core 1 too.

> thanks

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 21:49:39 up 15 days, 5:31, load average: 0.42, 0.54, 0.58
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]