Got an E-mail on Red Hat support being discontinued!

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Sat Apr 3 22:09:54 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 23:36, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 17:16:52 PM -0400, Daryl Fournier
> (dgfournier33 at msn.com) wrote:
> >
> > I would like to know if anyone else out there is wondering if Red
> > Hat network is going to put the screws to the open source community,
> > If I am going to continue with Fedora, how am I reassured that once
> > Fedora is popular, or mainstream that we the people who contribute
> > to the project or to the people who are giving up there free time to
> > help put together something that we all can be proud of is going to
> > become another Microshaft, I enjoy Linux, and believe it is the
> > future, what ever happened to copyleft, I understand the support,
> > but come on, Is Fedora going to taken away when it is convenient to
> > Red Hat Network?
> OB>
>
> Daryl,
snipped
> 2) Just *what* are you wondering about? The above is one single
>    sequence of 119 words. I really got lost into it. Please make your
>    point more understandable.

Isn't it obvious ;-},
What Daryl is asking (wondering) is has anyone else heard that Red Hat
is discontinuing there support to the open market. He received a mail
apparently.
The doubt in his mind has been created by the fact that RedHat has seen
fit to go commercial with with their enterprise suite. So when Fedora
Core becomes (already is) a brilliant piece of software will RedHat take
it away from the open market. And make it another distro that can only
be obtained by purchase. When a software goes commercial it always ends
up unaffordable to people earning a very basic income. Which is a shame.
I enjoy using FC myself but if I had to pay $100 for a copy or even $30
a month for a decent membership I would go hungry, simply because I am
based in SA and for me it is actually 7 times the price. So only the
wealthy in SA can run Redhat and use the online support.

If FC goes this way I believe it would certainly suffer a sudden death.
But it is my understanding that FC doesn't belong to Redhat it is open
source, they are simply hosting it for us. Thank You Redhat Great Job.
I also believe that redhat hosting FC, helps them in their research into
the different consumer demands and application trends.

Just my 2c
Cheers

--
Chadley - Linux Rocks