extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sun Apr 4 14:12:30 UTC 2004

At 03:38 4/4/2004, James wrote:
>It would be a huge waste of effort on our part to upgrade our
>development machines to FC1 only to upgrade them again (to
>FC2) in another month. This is why we are going to run RHL9
>[...] until FC2 is released, and then upgrade our RHL9
>development machines to FC2.
>
>And this is why I would really like to see Red Hat continue to provide
>security errata support for RHL9 until FC2 has been out a month or so.
>
>Does Red Hat have to do this?  No, of course not.
>
>But speaking as a paying customer (150 subscriptions to RHEL and
>counting), we'd really appreciate it.

James,

An excellent point, and well-put. Of course RH is not obligated to do this,
but it seems to be a fantastic idea, and one which would help not only you
but lots of other people as well. Surely you are not the only person (nor
the only paying customer) in this situation. Extending RHL-9 support until
5/30 (or even 6/30 if release of FC2 slips) would probably gain RH a lot of
goodwill, help smooth out migration issues for thousands of machines, and
help keep its customers loyal and happy.

May I suggest that you attempt to make Red Hat aware of the benefits of
this via your support contracts or sales reps? This is not the only channel
to pursue (in fact I'm BCC'ing this email to two or three other people whom
I think should see it), but "leave no stone unturned" they say.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com