Acrobat Reader problem

Keith ac7xc-lnx at wvi.com
Sun Apr 4 17:50:28 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 10:00, Jose Kilpua wrote:
> Hi everyone !
>
> I downloaded Acrobat Reader for Linux from Adobe. I installed it - no
> errors.
> Now I try to use it (as user and as root) , it says Aborted. What I should
> do, to get it running?
> I am using latest stable kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
> [jose at josehost bin]$ /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread /home/jose/TSG03.pdf
> Warning: charset "UTF-8" not supported, using "ISO8859-1".
> Aborted
> [jose at josehost bin]$
>
> Ciao,
> Jose

 In a terminal type
locale
if it says us_EN.UTF8 or whatever your local LANG is like gb_EN.UTF8
type
LANG=en_US && export LANG
/usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread /home/jose/TSG03.pdf

You could put this in a script

#!/bin/bash
LANG=en_US && export LANG
/usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread $@

or make the change permanent by making the the file
/etc/sysconfig/i18n
not use UTF8
BTW using UTF8 can really slow your system down, there was
an article on Slashdot about the use of UTF8 and speed performance.
If you need UTF8 then the bash script should handle the problem.

--
Best Regards,  Keith
NW Oregon Radio http://kilowatt-radio.org/