hda: lost interrupt

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Apr 4 17:59:54 UTC 2004

Am So, den 04.04.2004 schrieb Timothy Murphy um 14:41:

> Probably OT, but I'm getting the above error message
> more and more frequently, followed by the machine seizing up.
>
> (1) Is this definitely a sign of a dying disk?

Not necessarily. Do you get "lost interrupt" messages followed by a
message line like "hda: read_intr: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete
}"?

What harddrive brand/type do you have? Does it sound loud and gives some
ill sounds? What chipset / IDE controller does your motherboard have?

You could run "smartctl -t /dev/hda" selftest. Most harddrive
manufacturers have tools too to check the drive's health situation.

> (2) Is there any possibility of an hdparam change improving matters?

Only if the DMA mode would be recognized wrongly. Is your PC very busy
when those messages appear? Maybe especially during daily slocate run in
the morning at 4:02AM?

> I'm running FC-1 with kernels 2.6.4 and 2.4.25.
> [I have the impression that I get the error slightly more often
> with the 2.6 kernel, but that could be an illusion.]
>
> Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

> Timothy Murphy

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 19:54:45 up 16 days, 3:36, load average: 0.62, 0.61, 0.54
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]