Multi-Login/Multi-Console config, anyone? Re: TV-out/TwinView

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Mon Apr 5 11:03:47 UTC 2004

James van Zeeland írta:

>Dual head works fine for me: XF86Config below....you would need to edit
>this to make the second monitor of the AGP card a TV out instead...
>
>Can anyone point me to a how-to on multi-console X configurations?

http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net
http://startx.times.lv/

I have such a setup, kernel 2.6.3 modified with the files from the CVS of
http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net , two PS/2 keyboards, two USB mice,
two identical Samtron 96B (19") and a Radeon 9200SE/AGP8x and a
Radeon 7000VE PCI. Mainboard is an MSI K8T Neo FIS2R with an
Athlon64 3200+ and 512MB DDR400.

Works nicely but it's only against 2.6.3. The maintainer is tired of the
rapid
changes in the console code. I tried to modify it, compiles cleanly but dies
on boot. :-(

Anyway, here are my configuration files.
You have to setup gdm so it starts two X servers, look at the [servers],
[server-X0] and [server-X1] sections of gdm.conf.

You also have to modify /etc/security/console.perms so
owners of certain devices aren't modified. Like both users can
mount/umount floppies and CDs and both can use sound applications
not just the one who logs in first. Of course, you have to modify
the group of these device files and put users into these groups.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi