Any plans for a font install tool?

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Mon Apr 5 07:44:39 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Apr 5, Douglas Furlong did say:

> On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 18:00, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > Hello, I'm very new to fedora, (just downloaded the 3 iso's today in fact)
> > So please pardon my ignorance. But I have a couple of stupid questions...
> >
> >  1) About copying to ~/.fonts: What exactly do you copy to the dir? The
> >     font files themselves? Will symbolic links to said files work? Or what?
>
> I just copied the contents of my Fonts directory from windows in to the
> above, and they all appeared on the next reboot. Wasn't sure what I
> needed to do to get it working with out a reboot.

That's OK, a Reboot will work for me, Though on general principles I'll
try going back to run level 3 and then doing another startx first. <Grin>

> >  1b) Can I just copy trutype font files from my windows partition to ~/.fonts
> >      to enable them for all my apps?
>
> It will enable them for most of your apps, OpenOffice needs to be set up
> separately. You can do this from the same place as where you set up the
> printers, oopadmin

Yeah, I seam to remember doing something like that with ooffice on my mdk9.0
Only at the time I was too dumb to add them to the xserver.

> >  2) Isn't there a global place where root can put these to make them
> >     accessible to all user accounts?
>
> As Aaron stated you can place them in
> "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/". However I chose to place mine under
> /usr/share/fonts in their own directory for clarity's sake.
>
> Can any one think of a reason why this may not be advisable?
>
> Doug

OK so there are TWO different directories I can expect to be searched
for fonts on xserver start? If both get searched, then I can't think of
a good reason to favor one over the other. So if nobody jumps in with a
good reason why not, I'm thinking I saw something in the release notes
about /usr/share/fonts...

Thanks