Custom Kernel HOWTO

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Mon Apr 5 13:59:39 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 08:26, Michal Zeravik wrote:
> I noticed (in kernel 2.4.22) some features
> has been hidden in xconfig (ntfs support for example).
> In menuconfig it was ok.
> Is it known issue?
>
> michalz
>

> jludwig wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 23:54, William Sullivan wrote:
> >
> > > Could anyone point me the way of a straight forward HOW TO on building a
> > > custom kernel.  I have found a few but they were a little confusing.  Thanks
> > >
> > For my money the best is the help that comes with the xconfig
> > program and the kernel "README". Also you won't hurt anything
> > messing some kernel compiles up a few times, so, just play with
> > the configuration programs. All can be fixed with the command
> > make mrproper.

These are hidden because of a previous selection makes them incompatible with that decision,
or, they were part of another decision.
Examples;
Choose no modules and the "M" selection will always be hidden.
Choose no networking an all firewall selections will also be hidden.
Choose an Athlon processor and all Intel specific decisions will be hidden.
--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>