yum update of glibc needs space that's already there

Thiers Botelho thiers at fosfertil-ultrafertil.com.br
Mon Apr 5 14:12:07 UTC 2004

Hi Duncan,

[for shortness - following broken thread under
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-April/msg00686.html ]

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 08:19:41 -0500 "duncan brown" <duncanbrown email com>
asked:

|is this a server or a workstation?

That's a dual boot workstation box along with win2k prof .

|you should probably try cleaning out various cache files you may have
sitting around,

Well for the moment I'll treat them on a case by case basis until the
FINAL solution (whatever that might be).  :/

|a 2GB drive (sadly) doesn't give you alot of room to play around with in
a modern distribution.

I know . . . if no simpler solution comes by I'll do a complete refitting
of both system's partitions with Partition Magic. But I'm still putting
the final touches on my backup solution, so I'm not quite ready for that
yet.

|[duncan atom Cache]$ pwd
|/home/duncan/.mozilla/default/1dky1wp0.slt/Cache
|[duncan atom Cache]$ du -sh .
|34M     .
|
|that'll free up some space, if you try that... i have a script that i run
every morning and at least once a day that cleans out this dir...

|rm -fv ~/.mozilla/default/*/Cache/*

I just used explore2fs from windoze to visually inspect mozilla caches of
root and of the other user. I wouldn't gain more than 4 Mb if I cleaned
both.

|it sounds like you may need to do some spring cleaning, or hunting for
packages you never use to clean up that last bit of space.

ooo is a serious candidate for disintegration, but I don't think it should
all end this way (yet)    :((

|-d

???

|have you tried to install these upgrades by hand?  and MAKE SURE you
install the one appropriate to your archetecture with glibc
(i386/i686/etc), otherwise you'll hose your machine.

No, this I wouldn't like to do. At least not without trying first to
massage all partitions as explained above, which I think will ease further
occurrences of the problem.

Cheers

Thiers