MP3s and Linux

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Apr 5 17:47:58 UTC 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, duncan brown wrote:

> it's actually a german company that holds the rights to mp3, and it's
> nothing to do with laws per-se, more along othe lines of royalties.

sure it does, fraunhoffer iis's patent intelectual property is protected
by US law hence inclusion without complying with their liscensing terms
(which probably isn't possible under the gpl) could get you in trouble.
you can however do it someplace that doesn't allow algorythmic or
software patents, so long as you aren't a US citizen of course... IANL,
etc.

better to use ogg or flac.