exec-shield question

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Apr 5 19:56:12 UTC 2004

Am So, den 04.04.2004 schrieb Brian L. Walter um 21:00:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm playing around with wine, and get
>
> err:virtual:map_image Standard load address for a Win32 program
> (0x00400000) not available - security-patched kernel ?
>
> In a wine mailing list, someone suggested "cat "0"
> /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield to totally disable it, and alternatively,
> "setarch i586 wine <wine args>
>
> However, these seem to no longer work, and digging around, I found you
> can disable exec-shield via a boot time option.  Just how does one go
> about adding options to the kernel/boot?  If it matters, I'm using grub.
>
> TIA
> Brian

Totally disabling exec-shield is absolutely no option, in special not
just because you want to run wine.

Use a wine package that cares for the exec-shield, like wine packaged by
Che, see newrpms.sunsite.dk.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 21:54:35 up 17 days, 5:36, load average: 0.08, 0.24, 0.17
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]