synaptic question

duncan brown duncanbrown at email.com
Mon Apr 5 23:12:50 UTC 2004

from the sources.list man page (man sources.list)

       file   The file scheme allows an arbitrary directory in the file system
              to  be  considered an archive. This is useful for NFS mounts and
              local mirrors or archives.

first, create your own apt repository under let's say /var/apt_repository by following the directions in my apt walkthrough http://www.linuxadvocate.net/apt (pardon my site, it's utter crud)

so, create a file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ called local.list with an entry like i mention in the walkthrough, only substitute 'rpm' with 'file', and have it point at your /var/apt_repository, or whever you have it.

you'll also need to sign your packages if they're your own (http://www.linuxadvocate.net/rpm_signing), but if they're just from redhat, then you should already have their GPG key in your keyring.

-D