off topic evolution

Kevin Old kold at kold.homelinux.com
Tue Apr 6 19:22:17 UTC 2004

Hello Chadley,

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 14:40, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> Hello Daar!
>
> Looked through all options on the menu bar!
> How can I archive mail from my inbox from say feb back.
> My inbox has over 70,000 mails in it and evolution is useing a lot of
> memory.So I figured I could free some up by archiving at least 50,000 of
> these mails. but keep the last 20,000 which I often go back to for
> advise,
>
> Any clues?

Yes, this is very easy.  While in Evolution narrow down the messages
you'd like to archive use the search tool.  Once found, select all of
the message using Ctrl (as if you were going to move them to another
folder).  The go to File->Save As.  The resulting file will be a mbox
file of the messages you selected.

After the mbox file is saved, delete them from the current folder
they're in by clicking on the trashcan icon at the top or by using the
delete key.

Keep in mind that you'll only want to "archive" a few hundred messages
at a time if you have large messages or 1000 at a time if they are
small.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

--