weird error message in /var/log/messages

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Wed Apr 7 00:21:42 UTC 2004

Uttered "Peter Santiago" <peters at psinergybbs.com>, spake thus:

> I've got another what seems to be a kernel error.  Seems that the kernel is
> barfing on my network card, a Dlink network card.  Perhaps I should change
> my network card?
> Maybe I should file this on bugzilla?

Yes, this should be filed with bugzilla.  See if you can reproduce
the problem with snort turned off.  Looks to me as if some code
somewhere is arming a kernel timer and then forgetting to disable
that timer when the code (perhaps a module?) has been removed from
memory.  Could also be that the timer is trying to access free'd
memory.  Anyway, this is probably _not_ a problem with your network
card or memory or ...