(Alsa) MIDI no sound.

Bert Haskins bhaskins at chartermi.net
Wed Apr 7 02:30:10 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Di, den 06.04.2004 schrieb Bert Haskins um 05:47:
>

>> I can't get any sound out of either Rosegarden4 or Muse.
>>The Midi file  loads and  runs  but  is  dead  silent.
>>Sound  is  (very) good  under  XMMS .
>>Lsmod shows all of the SND modules loaded.
>>Alsa-mixer doesn't show a slider for anything that I can relate to
>>Midi??????
>>What am I missing?
>>Thanks,
>>    Bert
>>

>Just not enough information given.
>

>Which soundcard do you have
>

> Sound Blaster 16 PCI, ,
>

> which
>modules.conf settings for ALSA,

# ALSA portion

alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
# module options should go here

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

> all modules loaded?

yes

> Any messages from
>syslog in /var/log/messages?

Only one about the sound card.... initializing

>Alexander
>
>I'm beginning to that that my soundcard(s) are a major part of the problem.
>The box says that it supports general midi but the alsa page says no.
>I spent (wasted ) a lot of time trying to get Timidity configured to translate
>the midi to wave but at the very end of the ./config it spits out a lot of errors.

[later]
I then tried another sound card, a Turtle Beach, which the alsa page
says that it does support midi.
Same thing, good sound in Xmms, no sound in Rosegarden.
Thanks for answering,
  Bert