VNC Client

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Wed Apr 7 14:29:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:06:48 -0400, "Chalonec Roger" <Chalonec.Roger at pbgc.gov>
wrote:

>Has anyone successfully user the vncserver that comes with fedora core
>1?  I can not connect to the server.  I am using a vnc client (real vnc)
>on Windows XP trying to talk to the VNCserver on fedora.  I have
>disabled all firewalls but can't connect to the server still.  A Sniffer
>trace shows destination port 5900 but the vncserver keeps sending a TCP
>reset during session negation.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?  I have used vnc for MS Windows to MS Windows but
>not from MS Windows to Fedora.
>
>Thanks,

Display 0 belongs to the console.  The first VNC session starts as display #1
(if not higher), so it's on 5901.

On my system, the control files go in each user's home directory (~/.vnc/).

The key file is xstartup. Mine is used to start an X session showing the
normal Fedora desktop.

----------------

[root .vnc]# cat xstartup
#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
# unset SESSION_MANAGER
# exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
# twm &
exec gnome-session &

-----------------

To get VNCserver working, each user needs to type VNCserver once at a console
session.  Users are assigned sessions (and ports/display numbers) in
/etc/sysconfig/vncservers:

---------------------

# more /etc/sysconfig/vncservers
# The VNCSERVERS variable is a list of display:user pairs.
#
# Uncomment the line below to start a VNC server on display :1
# as my 'myusername' (adjust this to your own).  You will also
# need to set a VNC password; run 'man vncpasswd' to see how
# to do that.
#
# DO NOT RUN THIS SERVICE if your local area network is
# untrusted!  For a secure way of using VNC, see
# <URL:http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html>.

VNCSERVERS="1:sdstern"

Therefore, when connecting as "sdstern", I connect on port 5901. On Windows,
that means I use "linuxsystem:1" as  the address of the remote computer.

--
   Steve