Some problems getting started

Dov Zamir Linux at zamirfamily.com
Wed Apr 7 15:35:04 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I am more or less a newb (I last tried Linux about 10 years ago). I
installed RH9 and then upgraded to FC1. My hardware is an ECS K7SOM+
(thatś a SIS730 chipset) with an AMD processor with 256MB RAM.

I originally installed everything, planning to prune what I don need as
time goes on. But when I try to uninstall packages, like the development
packages, I get an error message saying that I have to install about a
dozen different packages before I can uninstall? Any ideas whatś going
on?

Also (maybe this should be in a different thread, but then again it may
be related) I cant get Java to run under Mozilla. It is installed, and I
even tried to install the run-time from SUN, but it still doesnt work.
Mozilla is configured to use the Java plug-in, but I just see the icon
for uninstalled plugins, and an error message stating that I need the
java plugin.

Any suggestions?

Dov Zamir
Linux at zamirfamily.com