Some problems getting started

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Wed Apr 7 15:55:02 UTC 2004

Dov Zamir wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am more or less a newb (I last tried Linux about 10 years ago). I
> installed RH9 and then upgraded to FC1. My hardware is an ECS K7SOM+
> (thatś a SIS730 chipset) with an AMD processor with 256MB RAM.

Welcome to Fedora!

> I originally installed everything, planning to prune what I don need as
> time goes on. But when I try to uninstall packages, like the development
> packages, I get an error message saying that I have to install about a
> dozen different packages before I can uninstall? Any ideas whatś going
> on?

My initial thought is that you may want to use an application named yum
to handle the dependencies for you. I can recommend these resources to
help with yum:

http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/#InstallSoftware
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-January/msg03379.html
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/alexander_dalloz/mirror/

Once you get yum set up properly with mirrors (or simply copy the
yum.conf found at the artoo site to /etc/yum.conf) you can uninstall
packages simply by typing yum remove packagename.

> Also (maybe this should be in a different thread, but then again it may
> be related) I cant get Java to run under Mozilla. It is installed, and I
> even tried to install the run-time from SUN, but it still doesnt work.
> Mozilla is configured to use the Java plug-in, but I just see the icon
> for uninstalled plugins, and an error message stating that I need the
> java plugin.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Dov Zamir
> Linux at zamirfamily.com

Here's what you need:
http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/#Java

I've used those instructions for installing Java (some with the
developer's kit, and some with just the runtime environment) on FC1
machines, and the instructions are well-written for this newcomer, so I
can recommend them to you as well.

Clint