Is Linux always so frustating^

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Apr 7 16:36:37 UTC 2004

Being the minority has it's downfalls.  I've experienced much
frustration, but have managed to overcome much of it with simple tools
like YUM(Fedora updater) and Webmin(web based administration).

I also have learned alot about "Windows-only" hardware, and can speak
from experience that anyone using Linux has to make all their hardware
selections carefully.  My own experience is that many modems and printers
aren't native to Linux and don't have Linux drivers.  I'd also be very
selective if and when you plan on doing any RAID configurations, as Linux
balks about some of the cheaper Promise raid controller chipsets.  If
you're doing RAID, go 3WARE for Linux.

I also avoid installing programs without YUM if I can help it.  When I
must, I try and get individual RPM's from distro-specific mirrors and
follow the HOWTO's with many tasks that's aren't so obvious.

Keep the faith, the frustration will season into knowledge, flexibility,
and open-mindedness in acheiving the task at hand.  Always be realistic
about what you're trying to accomplish and what limitations you're
dealing with.  I have a windows box still as my main desktop, but have
come to rely on Linux's server capabilities and learning new things
everyday.  If I had to, I could make my Fedora box my main desktop with
ease, but i'd give up some multimedia capabilities and couldn't print to
my panasonic KXP-7100 duplex laser printer I got for $130.

As time goes on, I'm confident Linux will catch up and I'll be ready for
my own switchover to my main desktop.  IBM and HP's big push toward Linux
isn't hurting things, so it's just a matter of time.

Cheers,

BC