Some problems getting started

duncan brown duncanbrown at email.com
Wed Apr 7 17:47:52 UTC 2004

this is to both the person who posted 'Is linux always so frustrating" and to the original poster of this thread.

fedora can be made very easy, but you both have to remember things are EVOLVING.  there is no ''final'' product, as far as i can tell... mainly because fedora doesn't have a business plan, it is free software from the core on out.

now, as far as installing/removing software, i've found the easiest way (if you're a gui fanatic) is to use synaptic (which is not a part of the default install, but should be when fedora core 3 comes out, in about 8+ months).

you can install the fedora team's extra packages (slowly merging with the redhat sponsored fedora core).  instructions can be found on my website at:

http://www.linuxadvocate.net/apt

the instructions will walk you through installing apt and then synaptic (which is a gui frontend to apt).

synaptic will have 100% of the software available on the installation discs, tons of additional software, and the updates for both when they come out.

also, if you're looking for things like media format support (mp3/quicktime/wmv/wma/divx/dvd), you can add other repositories to synaptic (apt/synaptic have the ability to pull software from several different sites without having to reconfigure between them).

http://ayo.freshrpms.net
http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/
http://jpackage.org
http://rpms.subpop.net
http://dries.studentweb.org

there's tons of software out there, it's a matter of adding these repositories to synaptic (instructions can be found on each of these sites) and go forward.

or, you can just cut and paste this into (after you've installed apt and synaptic) /etc/apt/sources.list.d/extra.list

-cut--------------------------------------------------------
# Freshrpms.net's Fedora Core 1 repository
rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/1/i386 core updates freshrpms

# NewRPMs Repository
rpm http://newrpms.sunsite.dk/apt/ redhat/en/i386/fc1 newrpms

# java from jpackage.org