Linux PVR [was] Is Linux ...frustrating

live4bacon at optonline.net live4bacon at optonline.net
Wed Apr 7 18:41:54 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Ross M Karchner <ross at karchner.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 13:06:03 -0400
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Is Linux always so frustating^

Duncan Brown Wrote:

>wow, today's just an apt happy day.
>
>you can also install mythtv and other such software.
>and what makes you feel that your video card wouldn't be
>compatible?  or are you talking about your capture card?

>if you install apt and synaptic (http://www.linuxadvocate.net/apt)
>and then add some repositories like dag's and freshrpm's,
>you'll be set for software, including macromedia flash.

>http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/
>http://www.freshrpms.net

I based the assumption of my Hardware not being compatible on all the articles I have read about newer Hardware not being Linux compatible, no solid evidence, and I am new to Linux (as of Jan 04).

The computer in question is a new Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP Media Center edition.  With a Raedon   ?400? video card..... The specifics escape me now, I will post the details this weekend if anyone cares to help me out.

Thanks for the pointer to Freevo, it looks promising and i will be setting the XP box up to dual boot this weekend and find out if I can completely remove myself from the clutches of M$

Thanks folks,
JWP