setting up a mail server.

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Apr 7 23:25:02 UTC 2004

Easiest way to do this is to use fetchmail and either POP3 or IMAP mail
server on the Linux box for your clients to connect to.  Webmin and
Usermin (http://www.webmin.com) web based management for Linux does a
nice job for me with setting up fetchmail.  There's also some good links
on the webmin site, besides the man pages, on how to do this.

This solution doesn't require you to run a public MTA, and your email
addresses could all stay the same and remain hosted with your ISP.

You could run CLAM AV for the virus scanning and SpamAssassin/Procmail
for spam detection, because each users Linux email account will be
storing the emails first on the Linux mbox account, then ultimately
downloaded to the client PC's.

Another nice feature is that you can put a beefy hard disk and run an
IMAP server so all the emails can be left on ther server (good for road
warriors and tele-commuters accessing mail from several PC's)

That should get you started on some good research, and you can do a
follow up after you've got a better handle and I'll be glad to try and
get you over hurdles along the way.

P.S.  I haven't run CLAM AV or SpamAssassin, mainly cause my ISP does a
good job of that with email, but I can help you with anything to do with
fetchmail and/or IMAP mail server and client setups for either Windows or
Linux clients.

Cheers,

BC