Screen Resolution and Color Depth

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Thu Apr 8 03:32:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 04:59, John A. Smith wrote:
> I have an Averatec 5110H laptop with a 15" XGA TFT monitor and Intel(R)
> 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller . The screen has a max resolution
> of 1024x768 @ 16 million colors.
>
> With the default install of Fedora C1, I only get a resolution of
> 640x480. However, I was able to get a 1024x768 resolution @ only 256
> colors after installing the intel dripkg*.rpm, running X -configure from
> the command line, and replacing /etc/X11/XF86config with the new config
> file. When I startx and try to change the preferences to 16 million
> colors, it says I have to log out and restart X. When I do it goes back
> to 640x480. I don't have a clue what I'm doing wrong. I had the same
> problem trying Mandrake on this machine and was hoping the FC1 would
> hold the answers to my problems. I've also tried installing the
> 855patch*.rpm from http://projects.nudieman.com/500m/, but that didn't
> make any difference.
>
> I know there must be others out there with the same problem. Has anyone
> out there encountered this and won?? My XF86config file is below, maybe
> someone can point out what I'm missing.
>
> TIA for any help!
>
> -j a s
>

> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier   "Monitor0"
>     VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>     ModelName    "Monitor Model"
You seem to missing

 HorizSync    30.0 - 64.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
        Option      "dpms"

> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>         ### Available Driver options are:-
>         ### [arg]: arg optional
>         #Option     "NoAccel"                # [<bool>]
>         #Option     "SWcursor"               # [<bool>]
>         #Option     "ColorKey"               # <i>
>         #Option     "CacheLines"             # <i>
>         #Option     "Dac6Bit"                # [<bool>]
>         #Option     "DRI"                    # [<bool>]
>         #Option     "NoDDC"                  # [<bool>]
>         #Option     "ShowCache"              # [<bool>]
>         #Option     "XvMCSurfaces"           # <i>
>     Identifier  "Card0"
>     Driver      "i810"
Try Driver "vesa"
Just to see!
Try switching to runlevel 3 and run redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig and
then select a monitor that is closest to your or use the generic CRT for
normal monitor and LCD for laptop.

Then try setting the resolutions again check out the driver there as
well should work if not edit the Xfree86config as above but change the
values for your monitor.
Try the vesa driver is  generic.
--
Chadley - Linux Rocks