acpi and hp pavilion ze4630us

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Thu Apr 8 03:41:59 UTC 2004

I installed Fedora Core 1 on my HP Pavilion ze4630us.

Battery monitor didn't work, so I enabled acpi in grub.conf.

Now battery monitor works.  The LINUXANT.COM HSF driver got my
winmodem working.

But before I go mobile, I need to get the fan to stop spinning when I
unplug the A/C power!  In Windows the fan on this laptop hardly ever
ran and I never seem to have any type of overheating or crashing
problem.  Although the laptop did seem to get pretty hot, which is
common for this HP I read.

Using Gnome and Fedora Kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.  How do I control
this fan on my laptop?  Someone said to cat some number to a file in
/proc which would turn it off, but I would rather some program or
daemon service control my fan automatcially?

It appears I need to setup some config files in /etc/acpi???

Would the 2.6 kernel in Fedora Core 2 xxxx solve this problem if I
upgrade when the final is out?

On another note, there is need to control the default route when I
disconnect the eth0 cable and use the modem.  I use wvdial and
everything works, but when it's disconnected, I always have to restart
networking to get the proper default route back to my lan connection.
Need a program to monitor the network devices for connections and
automatically adjust the default route!  And hey, what happened to the
Gnome ppp dialer?

jay