Mailing list procmail recipe

Chris Rouch crouch at pobox.com
Thu Apr 8 09:05:41 UTC 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 14:35:47 +0200
Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 01:16:30AM -0700, robert holtzman wrote:
> > >     rh>          :0:
> > >     rh> * ^TO_fedora-users at fedora.us
> > >     rh>          $HOME/mail/list-fedora
> > >
> > > Yeah, but that breaks for cross-posting: what happens when
> > > people post to both fedora-users-list and
> > > fedora-testers-list say.  Which folder do you save to?
> >
> > Crossposting works just fine. Notice that the recipe says
> > "fedora-users", not "fedora-testers". To catch both you would have
> > to add another recipe for fedora-testers-list. As a matter of fact,
> > I lurk on openoffice-users and openoffice-discuss and have separate
> > recipes for each. Works fine.
>
> And where does a mail (which you get two times!) crossposted to both
> openoffice mailinglists end up?
>
> Answer: both copies go into the folder for which you have the procmail
> rule first.
>
> This is why filtering on TO is fundamentally broken.
>
> Use List-ID for what it's there.

If a message is cross-posted to two lists I subscribe to, I have no wish
to read it twice anyway. Filtering on 'TO' puts 1 copy in the first
matching folder, and subsequent copies are thrown away by the first
recipe:

#keep a msgid cache to weed out duplicates
:0 Wh: msgid.lock
| formail -D 8192 /home/cro/.msgid.cache

That's not to say List-ID isn't better, but as someone pointed out not
all mailing list software has it.

Regards,

Chris