[Alsa-user] alsamixer ver. 1.04 fails.

Erik P. Olsen erik at epo.dk
Thu Apr 8 09:30:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 14:01, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> > I have just downloaded and installed ALSA 1.0.4 according to the description
> > for sound card AW320 (cs46xx) and when I run alsamixer all I get is:
> >
> > alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory
>
> Do the device nodes in /dev/snd/ exist?  Did you run the snddevices
> script?

The situation is very strange. Yes, I did run snddevices and it looked
like the problem was solved - until I rebooted. Because I had forgotten
to store the mixer settings I ran alsamixer again just to get this
annoying error again. And now it didn't help to run snddevices again.

So I reinstalled alsa, ran alsamixer to un-mute it again. This time I
remembered to do alsactl store, rebooted just to see that the mixer
settings were restored and I had again beautiful music from my system. I
don't know what went wrong the first time, why this reboot caused
alsamixer not to run and I don't think I'll ever find out.

--
Regards,
Erik P. Olsen