MUA Filters vs Procmail filters[was] RE: Mailing list procmailrecipe

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Apr 8 15:39:38 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 08.04.2004 schrieb Ow Mun Heng um 07:57:

> > In my .forward I have:
> > "|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #drs"
>
> WHat's IFS?? I tried man .forward and man forward. No match.
> I take it that the input mail and just forwards it to procmail
> for processing?

IFS stands for Internal Field Separator and has nothing in special to do
with the forward mechanism or file nor with procmail. It is a shell
build in and in this case it is set to the space character (it could be
a tabulator too or a newline character).

The procmail call in the .forward file is only necessary if the MTA does
not call procmail directly as the LDA. I.e. on a mail system running
sendmail it is totally unnecessary to call procmail a second time
because by standard sendmail uses procmail as the LDA/MDA (local
delivery agent / mail delivery agent). Although sendmail can use
different LDAs like maildrop or let cyrus imapd do the job.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 17:32:07 up 20 days, 1:13, load average: 0.20, 0.28, 0.20
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]