Problem with DHCP, /etc/hosts and GNOME

Julien Olivier julo at altern.org
Thu Apr 8 15:43:33 UTC 2004

Hi

I've installed both FC1 and FC2 and, each time, I have noticed a very
annoying problem.

I have an ethernet ADSL modem. So, when I configure the network, I use
DHCP (my modem is also a DHCP server).
Then, when I try to log in GNOME for the first time, I get an error
message stating that I should had my hostname to /etc/hosts.
So, I fire vim and add my hostname (provided by my ADSL modem) to
/etc/hosts.
Then, I log in again, and everything works.

Now, my questions are:

 - Why does GNOME need my hostname to be in /etc/hosts ?
 - Why isn't my hostname automatically added to /etc/hosts after the
connection is established ? Is there a technical reason to it ? Or is it
simply a bug that should be filed ?
 - Or, alternativeley, is there a way to ignore the hostname provided by
the DHCP connection and just stick to localhost.localdomain ? I found a
similar option in Anaconda but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks !

--
Julien Olivier <julo at altern.org>