Problem with DHCP, /etc/hosts and GNOME

Julien Olivier julo at altern.org
Thu Apr 8 16:09:38 UTC 2004

> I'm sure that they have their reasons.  But, I don't think that its
> required in /etc/hosts...  Just reversible [that is, they can look up an
> IP address for your hostname].

Oh I see. Well, my DHCP server gives me the following hostname:

[root at rfc1918 julien]# hostname
rfc1918.space.should.not.be.used.on.publicips

I think it's a weird hostname, and my modem probably does something
wrong...

Anyway, such a hostname is probably not reversible unless I add it
manually in /etc/hosts just next to 127.0.0.1, which works.

> In my /etc/sysconfig/network file, I have the following:
>
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
>
> Then, my /etc/hosts file has:
>
> 127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain localhost
>
> It works for me with DHCP.

I have exactly the same thing in /etc/sysconfig/network, but when the
eth0 connection is started, my hostname changes to this strange
"rfc1918.space.should.not.be.used.on.publicips".

> Hope this helps....

A little bit :) Thanks !

--
Julien Olivier <julo at altern.org>