Cannot read output after "make xconfig" with 2.6.5

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Apr 8 16:21:06 UTC 2004

ne... wrote:

>>When I "make xconfig" with linux-2.6.5
>>all the characters in the GUI are replaced by little squares,
>>as though I were using a non-existent font.
>>
>>What am I doing wrong (or more likely, not doing right)?
> Just a stab in the dark... xconfig uses qt. Maybe your qt
> is not configured right. Run qtconfig and make sure all
> the plugins point to the right paths.

Thank you.
That was indeed the cause.
I had actually run qtconfig,
but I had not checked that the default font existed.
(In fact I don't know how to check that -
the "sample text" in the font did appear.)
When I chose another font, the writing appeared.

Running through the fonts offered in qtconfig,
I found that several had the same effect
of causing little squares instead of characters after "make xconfig".
Perhaps there is some other qt related RPM I haven't used,
and which would supply these fonts?
In any case it doesn't matter as I can now read the kernel optiions,
which is all I was looking for.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366