Problem with DHCP, /etc/hosts and GNOME

Julien Olivier julo at altern.org
Thu Apr 8 17:10:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 17:52, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 08.04.2004 schrieb Julien Olivier um 18:30:
>
> > > You can also set DHCP_HOSTNAME in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
> > > (configurable by redhat-config-network)
> > >
> > Followinf your advice, I have added "DHCP_HOSTNAME=fedora" to my
> > /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 file.
> >
> > I have then restarted my network and still have the
> > "rfc1918.space.should.not.be.used.on.publicips" hostname.
>
> To me that name coming from your router sounds like a default
> configuration which acts as a warning too. I am sure you can change that
> routers behaviour. Have a look at the manual.

I think so too. But I couldn't find anything in the manual about that.
Nor could I find any way to change the hostname in the web-based
configuration tool. Anyway, I don't really care what my hostname is. All
I want is *not* to be bothered with it when configuring my network on
Fedora.

> As an alternative you can use the router with DHCPD functionality. Just
> configured it to use static IPs for your LAN from 192.168.0.0/24 net.
> Switch your Fedora machine configuration from DHCP to static IP then.
> DHCP is only a big advantage if you have more than just a few hosts and
> when they are changing.

Yes, I know I can do it. But I really think it should straight-forward
to set up a network connection when you have a DHCP server in a network.
I just don't understand why it is not straight-forward for me on Fedora,
while I have nothing to configure on the same computer, on the same
network, using Windows XP.

Thank you very much for your help.

--
Julien Olivier <julo at altern.org>