Problem with DHCP, /etc/hosts and GNOME

duncan brown duncanbrown at atom.csionline.net
Thu Apr 8 17:16:27 UTC 2004

because winXP is winXP and linux is linux (well, gnome is gnome).

they're different, so they behave differently.

the way that the X11 protocol (takes all the information from the gnome
programs and sends it to XFree86) and XFree86 (what actually displays
what's on your screen) works is like any other network protocol, in fact,
if i were so inclined i could run gnome-session on my server in new jersey
and display it on my screen here in southern maryland, about 300 miles
away (though the refresh and latency would suck, heh).  now, gnome wants
to ENSURE that it's displaying on the correct screen and not where it's
not wanted or where it shouldn't be.  this is why it wants to make sure
that the hostname it's finds on start is the proper one to display on.
some things will panic and crash.

-d

www.gnome.org has more info, if you're so inclined to look for it.