Problem with DHCP, /etc/hosts and GNOME

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Thu Apr 8 17:22:42 UTC 2004

>OK, thanks for the explanation. I think I get it now.
>
>But what I still don't understand is: why don't I need to configure
>anything for my laptop to connect to the internet on Windows XP, but I
>have to modify /etc/hosts on Fedora ?

You don't need to modify /etc/hosts to connect to the internet in Fedora.

GNOME [and other programs/processes] require the ability to do a reverse
domain name lookup, that is, given a hostname, what is the ip address.
You can hit Ctrl-Alt-F1, log in, and telnet/ssh/ftp/http to your hearts
content without ever changing /etc/hosts.  [BTW, Ctrl-Alt-F7 takes you
back to GUI mode.. ;)]

Your fundamental question is, why does Unix use a machine's hostname as
its point of reference, and MS use a NetBIOS name [Machine Name]?

Unix has used an internet hostname since time began [Ok, maybe not
_quite_ that far back...].  MS Win 3.1 did not [let us not forget!!!]
have a TCP/IP stack, but they wanted networking, so they came up with
their own [or maybe they purchased it from someone else, I forget...].
This legacy continues to this day, for better, or for worse.

Furthermore, when you set up your Windows machine the first time, did it
ask you what you wanted your Machine Name to be?  If so, then the answer
is, Windows *DID* have you edit your /etc/hosts [at least, their
equivelant], you just didn't know it at the time.....  There is nothing
that says that the anaconda installer would ask you what you want your
hostname to be [which it does if you specify you want a static IP
address ;)].  It could ask you the same thing, even for DHCP.  Perhaps
this is really a feature request for FC2?????

--
Keven Ring               | "Oh no,  Not Again..."
The MITRE Corporation    |   Bowl of Petunias -