Simultaneous sounds with ALSA? (Christoph Wickert)

Brian Bober netdemonz at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 17:34:43 UTC 2004

Christoph Wickert wrote:

> So you'll need to use software mixing, I think there already were some
> helpful hints on that here. In addition to that you'll have to tell the
> applications to use arts/esd.
>
> XMMS: Options -> Output plugin -> eSound Output plugin/aRts Output
> The same can be done with realplayer/helixplayer, gaim and many more.

I have a soundblaster live in my basement in another state :-(

I don't think with the processor I have, software mixing will be a big
slow-down considering I rarely use over 30% of the processor.

Why does this junk have to be done on a program-by-program basis? It should be
some global setting that you could perhaps override by program, but has the
same setting program-by-program by default. Like:

[X] Override default sound daemon
[ eSound ]

Whereas you woulud have chosen eSound as a global setting within preferences.