Create a new system variable

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Thu Apr 8 17:52:22 UTC 2004

duncan brown wrote:

>matt,
>you want to create a wrapper script, OR have the export of your http_proxy
>var on your crontab line seperated from your command by an ; or &&
>
>; means that it'll run the following command whether or not the first one
>succeeded
>&& means that it'll only run it if the previous command completed
>successfully
>
>if this is for apt (apt-get / apt-cache), then you can modify the apt.conf
>file (do a search for the word proxy) and you can set it up in there and
>be set.
>
>now, you could also create a wrapper script
>
>create /usr/local/bin/my_wrapper (or whatever you want to call it)
>

>Matthew Benjamin said:
>

>>Can someone tell me how to create a system variable. For instance I
>>would like to create a variable called http_proxy that will be available
>>for a cronjob. This requires the variable to be available to the process
>>when no one is logged in. Export does not work because it disappears
>>when you log off. editing the /etc/profile file to include this does not
>>work because the variable is created as an environment variable and only
>>exits while you're logged on. That's my dilemma. Please help.
>>
>>mattB.

Even easier is to do a man 5 crontab.  This tells you how to supply
environment variables inside of the crontab file!
No wrapper needed!  Of course, that environment variable is then passed
to every program, but http_proxy sounds like a good one to pass on....

--
Keven Ring               | "Oh no,  Not Again..."
The MITRE Corporation    |   Bowl of Petunias -