Create a new system variable

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Thu Apr 8 20:29:43 UTC 2004

Matthew Benjamin wrote:

>Keven, your right it does work. That's strange I'm trying to set the
>proxy for up2date to work, and it work on command line but when I try
>all of those methods given it doesn't. Any ideas?

IIRC, up2date will get proxy information elsewhere [specifically
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date].  If, instead, you meant yum, then what you
probably want to do is [as root]:

chkconfig yum on
service yum start

Then, edit /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron and add you http_proxy environment
variable there.
Alternatively, edit /etc/crontab, and add the http_proxy environment
variable there.

As to what all of this does:

chkconfig yum on
adds yum to the standard set of startup scripts when your machine is
booted.  For yum, this includes run levels 3 [text mode] and 5
[graphical mode], as well as levels 2, 4, and 6.

service yum start
actually starts the service [so that you don't need to reboot.
Remember, this is not MS Windows... :) ].

Editing either of the two files mentioned should affect yum.

Be sure to read Alexander's excellent information on setting up
alternative update servers....

--
Keven Ring               | "Oh no,  Not Again..."
The MITRE Corporation    |   Bowl of Petunias -