Problem with DHCP, /etc/hosts and GNOME

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Apr 9 00:22:49 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:
> Rick Stevens said:
>
>>The problem is that xdm creates the initial cookie based on the
>>hostname.  All additional auth sessions base off that cookie.  If you
>>change the hostname, then the initial cookie is no longer valid.
>>
>>I think the command you used was "xauth generate :0 ."
>

> I would wonder if you hack dhclient-script (or any more appropriate place)
> to do this when the IP changes...  Might have some interesting
> consequences for existing sessions, though.

Well, "xauth merge" might help in that sort of script.  I suggest that,
as your machine just became "someone else" if the hostname changes.

I suppose I could tinker around this weekend and see what I come up
with as to a work-around.
-      The moving cursor writes, and having written, blinks on.      -