MUA Filters vs Procmail filters[was] RE: Mailing list procmailrecipe

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Fri Apr 9 06:58:43 UTC 2004

[Very Heavy Snipping]

> Maybe a longer discription of (sort of) my setup is in order:
>
> Server - my ISP's machine that I get mails from
> MyMachine - my local Linux box
>
> MyMachine uses fetchmail to retrieve messages from Server (via POP3).
> Procmail then processes them and stores them in the
> approriate folders (in
> mbox format, but that is not important).  My client (generally
> SquirrelMail) then connects to the IMAP server (reading the same mbox
> format mail, but again, format is not important) running on
> MyMachine to
> display my Mail and Folders.  If I choose to use Evolution, I
> just set it
> up as an IMAP clinet pointing to the same IMAP server on
> MyMachine so I
> get the same Mail and Folder display.

iSPmail - ISP server
Home-mail-server - Home Mail server
my machine - local machine

Current setup..
1. Home-mail-machine poll mails via pop from ispmail
   using fetchmail. Stores them into /var/spool/mail/username
2. my machine fetchmails emails from Home-mail-machine
   into local spool folder of mymachine.
3. Evolution pops the mails from /var/spool/mail and put
   them into  ~/evolution/local/Inbox/
4. Evolution MUA filters and puts them into appropriate
   subfolders.

How I would like it to be Option 1 or option 2

option 1:
1. Home-mail-machine polls mails via pop from ispmail
   using fetchmail passes them through procmail for
   spam/virus/sorting etc into the specific maildir
   format boxes.
2. MyMachine connects to the home-mail-machine using
   evolution via IMAP protocol (since I assume that you
   can't use fetchmail to POP them into evolution so that
   it's stored into ~/evolution/local/Inbox/or can it??
   default pop directory is /var/spool/username right?)

Option 2.
1. Home-mail-machine polls mails via pop from ispmail
   using fetchmail, passes them through procmail for
   spam/virus/(no sorting) into /var/spool/mail
2. My machine polls mails from home-mail-machine,
   via POP3 protocal (fetchmail), passes them through
   procmail for spam/virus(again) and sorts them into
   specifed folder in maildir format
3. Evolution connects to my-machine via IMAP protocol
   to access the emails which resides in the
   /var/spool/maildir (I have no idea where maildir stores
   the emails).
4. (optional step) I move the mails from the maildir
   path and puts it into ~/evolution/local/Inbox/...

So... in as few words as possible, that's what I like.

In addition to that, I still have not read a good way
to archive maildir format emails.