Gnome and modem connection

Julien Olivier julo at altern.org
Fri Apr 9 10:36:24 UTC 2004

> Julien, many thanks for answering!

You're welcome.

> > The second one is to use an applet on GNOME's panel. To add it,
> > right-click on the panel and select Add to Panel -> Internet -> Modem
> > Lights. Using this applet you can start/stop your PPP connection.
>
> Thanks, I really didn't know that! Tonight I will have a try.
> If I start it from a remote client, do you think it will works appending the
> usual "-display hostname:0.0"?

I guess it should work, but I think you'll need a running gnome panel on
the destination host (don't take my words for granted here though).
But, anyway, as it is a panel applet, I think the best thing to do is to
launch the panel using the "-display hostname:0.0" option and, then,
right-click on the panel to add the applet. I don't think you should
launch the applet itself using command line.

Another suggestion would be to set your PPP connection on the server and
share it using masquerading. Just have a look here if you don't know how
to do it:
http://www.building-tux.com/software/simple_inet_connection_sharing.html

If you do so, the clients will use an ethernet connection to reach the
server, and the server will use the PPP connection to reach the
Internet. This way, you don't have to activate the PPP connection
directly on the clients. But maybe that's not what you want...

--
Julien Olivier <julo at altern.org>