A curse on LABEL=

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Apr 9 12:47:45 UTC 2004

I was just bitten again by the LABEL= bug.
For some reason, "make install" 2.6 kernels
causes a new entry in grub.conf using root=LABEL=/ ,
even though the entry being copied says /dev/hda?

I don't know why - and don't really want to know why -
but this causes a panic on my machine,
with the root partition not found,
even though it has the correct label according to e2label.

I understand the supposed advantage of LABEL
if one is changing a hard disk,
but I just feel the confusion it causes vastly outweighs its merits.
Am I alone in this?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366