A curse on LABEL=

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Apr 9 16:15:09 UTC 2004

prata at kuei-jin.org wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 01:47:45PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I was just bitten again by the LABEL= bug.
>> For some reason, "make install" 2.6 kernels
>> causes a new entry in grub.conf using root=LABEL=/ ,
>> even though the entry being copied says /dev/hda?
>>
>> I don't know why - and don't really want to know why -
>> but this causes a panic on my machine,
>> with the root partition not found,
>> even though it has the correct label according to e2label.

> I do believe if you manually remake the initrd image, that the LABEL=
> information will function as it should. I suppose I could go try this and
> see what it does, but I distinctly remember this functioning for me when I
> did remake the initrd image once. I always forget to do it when I rebuild
> the kernel every so often though.
>
> Give that a shot and see how it works for ya. I believe the syntax is
> similar to:
>
> mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.5.img 2.6.5

Thanks for your advice.
But I find it simpler just to edit /etc/grub.conf
and change root=LABEL=/ to root=/dev/hda6 .
I edit /etc/fstab similarly from time to time,
but some gremlin keeps changing grub.conf and fstab
when I'm not looking.

I'm pretty sure I don't really need initrd on my laptop,
but as long as it doesn't cause trouble I don't mind it being there.

I must make a list of pet grouses about RH/Fedora Linux.

Off the top of my head, three of these are

(1) "They" are now forcing us to use Disk Druid.
At least we used to be given the choice of fdisk if we asked nicely.
I find Disk Druid very annoying - it takes on itself
to tell me how I should partition my disk,
and won't let me do it the way I want.

I don't mind at all - in fact I approve -
of the user being provided with a default partitioning scheme
if he/she so wishes.

{2} I see they are threatening us that OSS will no longer be supported.
OSS works on one ancient machine of mine, and ALSA does not
(perhaps due to ignorance on my part).

(3) I don't understand all this crowing over rhgb -
I'd rather read what is happening than watch a snail crawl across the screen
Of course I don't mind people running rhgb if they like,
but I don't think it should be the default.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366