Simultaneous sounds with ALSA?

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Fri Apr 9 16:38:43 UTC 2004

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 16:59:57 +0200
Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at web.de> wrote:

> > Agreed, but sometimes this is not an option ;)
>
> Yes, but I think this was mentioned in my mail.

Sorry, I might have missed that.

> I read your article and it's very helpful. (BTW: I found a typo in
> line 6 "confifuration".)

Thks, will fix that =) Glad it was somewhat useful.

> Nevertheless there is NO REAL NEED to configure all the applications
> as you did. In that case the oss-compatibility layer will do it's job.
>
> I did not configure anything, so all my applications are set up to use
> oss. I don't not what functionality I should be missing (well maybe
> some Dolby 5.1), I still can have simultaneous sounds...

Now that would be cool -- I don't recall it working here, that's why I
went after the solutions I posted on that HOWTO. AFAICS I have
OSS-compatibility enabled; how can I check that? Is it simply a matter
of configuring /etc/modules.conf? Any specific compilation flags needed?

I would really love to update that article if I were to make it simpler
=)

Best,

Andre

--