/dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Apr 10 00:10:20 UTC 2004

Aaron Konstam wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 03:11:04PM -0400, James Kosin wrote:

>>Rick Stevens wrote:
>><<-- snip -->>
>>
>>If you use fdformat to format the floppy in Linux, you still need to use
>>mkfs to build a file system on the floppy.  Otherwise, you will still
>>get this error, even after the format.
>>

>This is wrong. In fact fdformat is for making dos type disks and mkfs
>for linux formatted disks

You are confused.
For more information, please read the man pages on mkfs and fdformat.
 Also man on mkdosfs and mkfs.msdos.

mkfs formats the filesystem and has many options to tell it size and
filesystem type, plus some readily available tailored options are
already on the system. (mke2fs, mkdosfs, among many others)

fdformat does the low level format of the floppy disk, and does NOT
actually create the filesystem as far as I can find.

When using fdformat you must then follow it with mkdosfs or similar to
create the filesystem.