FC1 and Win XP using cross-over cable

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Sat Apr 10 02:15:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 20:56, Hazael Maldonado Torres wrote:
> From: Hazael Maldonado Torres <fedora at itxolutions.com>
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Subject: FC1 and Win XP using cross-over cable
> Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 01:44:26 +0100
>
> Hi guys.
>
> I am trying to connect my FC box to Internet trought a laptop running XP
> Pro using a crossover ethernet cable. My laptop is coneccted to Internet
> by a USB wireless adapter, but it looks like Fedora do not get a IP
> address and do not establish connection with the laptop.
>
> When FC starts it take a lot of time in the ethernet config steps and
> when it finished it says FAILED.
>
> As far as I know it is ok to connect the two boxes with a cross cable,
> but I am new in Linux and I am not quite sure of this.
>
> Thanks

Typically what happens is that the box that is connected as the server
has a DHCP NIC card and a static internal NIC card or is a secondary
DHCP server giving out 'secondary, self generated local ip addresses'.
It then masquerades the internal addresses when it passes packets
through itself.

>From the way you are set up from what I understand.
1) The computer must accept two ip addresses for the same card.
2) Also the DHCP server must assign two ip addresses to the same MAC
address (as far as it is concerned).
3) Will XP act as a server, firewall, gateway, router, or bridge without
extra programs and configuration.

So the issue is this. Is there anything getting through?

Linux comes out of the box with this capability. If you set your
machines "the other way round" it can be made to work quite easily.
 --
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>