FC1 and Win XP using cross-over cable

David Hunt dhunt at bigpond.net.au
Sat Apr 10 07:11:21 UTC 2004

The only way this will happen is if you manually configure IPs.  The
Internet sees only the IP address on your Laptop pseudo TCP/IP interface
associated with the USB interface.

See below for solutions...

> When FC starts it take a lot of time in the ethernet config steps and
> when it finished it says FAILED.
>
> As far as I know it is ok to connect the two boxes with a
> cross cable,
> but I am new in Linux and I am not quite sure of this.
>
> Thanks

Hazael;

Your problem is not operating system dependant, but rather just a matter
of understanding the networking.  Without understanding how you obtain
access to the Internet, it is more difficult to explain fully, however
here goes..

Assuming your Laptop is allocated a "real Internet Address" (not a private
network address), then that allows only that PC to access the Internet,
since the address belongs to it.  The Ethernet connection on your laptop
is just another network connection that can be used to communicate (in
this case) from your Fedora host to your laptop.  It is invisible to the
Internet, just as the Internet is invisible to the Ethernet interface.
While both Windows and Linux operating systems are capable of routing, you
cannot route, successfully in this case, unless you are routing to a "real
Internet Address" allocated by the service provider (who allocates the IP
to your USB pseudo IP interface).  This is the only way that routing on
the Internet will know how to reach your IP.  Usually this is not possible
unless you have been allocated a group of IPs and you subnet them into two
networks.  This is unlikely, so your best solution is to set up a "Private
Network" using private IP Addresses between your tow machines (yes a
crossover cable is just as good as a Hub for two machines).  Now you just
need either "Proxy applications for each Intenet service (eg. telnet, web,
smtp, pop3, etc.)" on the Laptop for your Fedora machine to talk with.
The proxy application then talks to the Internet on behalf of machines on
the private network.  Alternately you need a routing application that can
do NAT (also often referred to as "Masquerading" (Routing and Network
Address Translation).

Lookup the "How To" for IP Tables for an axplanation of how this works.

As IP Tables can do NAT (as well as firewall), you would be better with
the Fedora box connected to the Internet and connect the Laptop to it.
Otherwise a program like WinRoute for your Window$ box.  Unfortunately
this will cost $$, as with most things for Window$.

Hope this helps.
David Hunt